COVID-19 Community Research Participants
Partnering with patients to better understand the spread of COVID-19
Thank you for your interest in this study. Please continue to read this page to help you understand what it will be like to participate.
Campbell University researchers are partnering with patients to better understand the spread of COVID-19. Study participants will complete short online questionnaires over several months about possible exposures, symptoms, and health care visits. Some volunteers may be asked to complete free, in-home test kits for the COVID-19 virus or antibodies.
Frequently Asked Questions
Learn more about the research study including participant eligibility and process.
Research studies are designed to gain scientific knowledge that may help people in the future
Please take your time in making your decision as to whether or not you wish to participate in this research study. You may also discuss this study and your decision to participate with your friends and family. If you have questions about the study, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (336) 713-8334.
Anyone age 18 or older can participate in the study.
If you are eligible to participate, you will first read the informed consent and provide your electronic signature. Informed consent is important because it:
- Describes the study
- Explains why the study is being done
- Describes what is expected from you
- Describes the risks and benefits of taking part
- Explains how to contact the study team with questions
- If you read the informed consent and decide that you don’t want to participate in the study, that’s OK. Please do not sign the consent form if you don’t want to participate.
After completion of the online informed consent, you will be asked to complete a brief enrollment questionnaire. You will receive an email with a link to complete an online registration form that can be completed on your smartphone, tablet, or computer.
Initially, you will receive a questionnaire every day. Over time you may receive it less often. The study will continue as long there are concerns about the pandemic in our region; however, you can stop receiving the questionnaires at any time.
The questionnaires will cover the following:
- Your COVID-19 illness history or symptoms
- Your visits to the doctor and treatments
- Your contact with other sick people
- If you are a health care worker, your use of personal protective equipment
The information collected in the questionnaire will be used for research purposes and will not be entered into your medical records.
Periodically, for up to one year, you will receive a link to a very brief questionnaire to complete.
Some volunteers may be asked to complete free, in-home test kits for the COVID-19 virus or antibodies. You can decide to only complete questionnaires or you can add the at-home testing to your participation.
In this part, you may be asked to complete monthly at-home tests that detect the virus or its antibodies. At-home testing requires a finger prick for collecting a sample of your blood on a stick or an oral swab for saliva.
Your kit will instruct you to either:
- Take a picture of the test stick and send the picture using an app on your smartphone.
- package the test stick in an enclosed return mailer and put into the US mail
Testing is for research purposes only.