Non-Degree Coursework

Individuals with academic or professional reasons for pursuing graduate-level study without entering a degree program may apply for special student status and engage in coursework for academic credit up to four courses only.

While they are not candidates for any degree, special students are much like first-year graduate students: they participate in coursework and may request an official Campbell University transcript of courses and grades received. 

Welcome! We appreciate your interest in the Master of Health Professions Education (MHPE) degree program, and we look forward to getting to know you.

To initiate the application process, please review the information below.

The non-degree application is currently open to candidates for the  summer  and fall 2021 semesters.  The summer semester deadline is Tuesday,  April 1, 2021. The fall semester deadline is Thursday, July 1, 2020.

Apply as non-degreeMore about the MHPE Program

The MHPE program makes every effort to recruit students with diverse backgrounds to foster the cultural richness to meet its Mission and Goals. MHPE applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ethnicity or national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.

Official Transcripts

Send electronic copies of all official transcripts to:  If electronic copies are unavailable, hard copies can be mailed. 

Curriculum Vitae

A current curriculum vitae is required.

Technical Standards

All students are required to meet the Technical Standards for Admission: Observational, Communication, Motor, Intellectual, and Behavioral & Social Attributes.

All students must affirm by signature that they have read and meet the standards. Any falsification or misinformation regarding the ability to meet technical standards is reason for dismissal.

Once all items have been received, the admissions committee will begin the review process for all applicants.  Decisions are typically released to applicants via email.

Special students may enroll in two courses at a time, up to a maximum of four.




Can I affiliate with more than one department or program?
Special student applicants must choose one department or program with which to affiliate based on their proposed plan of study. 

If I was denied admission to a MHPE degree program, can I apply for special student status?
Individuals denied admission to a degree program at MHPE cannot apply as a special student for the same academic year.

Can special students transfer into a degree-seeking program?
While special students participate in coursework, they may not transfer to a degree-seeking program. They may, however, apply to MHPE at a later date.

If I am admitted to MHPE after I study as a special student, will my credits count toward my program?
Special students who later apply and are admitted to a MHPE degree program may petition to apply their academic credit toward their degree requirements.